Scouts WA Canning Ascent 2022
Canning River Ascent 8-9 October 2022
Canning River Ascent is an overnight canoe expedition starting from Waylen Bay Sea Scout Hall in Applecross and ending at Royal Street Bridge in Kenwick. The distance is approximately 20 km so it is suitable for some OAS skills.
It is open to all Scouts. Even if you don’t have qualified activity leaders in your group, as the WA Scouts AA Paddling Council will provide the on water leaders.
Last time we had over 50 canoes in the event, this year we are aiming for many more!
Scout and Activity Leaders qualified in canoeing will monitor and support the activity over the weekend. There will be some power boat support and an escort through the boating and skiing area on Saturday.
COST: $20 – Includes badge and camping fees.
- 8am arrival at Waylen Bay Sea Scout Hall in Applecross on Saturday (8/10/22) for 9am departure.
- Lunch at Mt Henry Bridge Reserve.
- Camping overnight at Canning Sea Scout Hall, Centenary Ave, Wilson.
- A night activity will be organised for all participants.
- All canoes will continue up the Canning River stopping on route for lunch at Kent Street Weir.
- After portaging the Kent St Weir, the canoes will continue to the Royal St Bridge, Kenwick and finish at approx. 2pm.
All food and equipment for the hike including the canoe and PDF will be your responsibility.
WHAT TO BRING
All canoeists must be self-sufficient with;
- Sleeping bags
- All the above items need to be in waterproof containers (eg. Dry sack or barrel) and must be carried in your canoe (not in your leader’s car).
Get your paddling buddy and register online now. Entries close Friday 23rd September 2022. Registration is on MyScout – Events.